In This Section:
Biological Sciences—The Office of Undergraduate Biology, 216 Stimson Hall
- Database of faculty research interests and information sheets.
- Undergraduate Research in Biology
- Informational flyers on locating undergraduate research opportunities.
- Questionnaires completed by faculty with faculty research descriptions.
- Student research abstracts and feedback about their research experiences.
- Session on arranging undergraduate research opportunities in Biological Sciences held each semester.
- Current job listings from biology faculty located on bulletin boards.
- Summer opportunities (on and off campus) posted on the biology major listserve throughout the academic year.
- Enrollment in Bio G 2990 and 4990: Undergraduate Research in Biology.
- Information on and applications for the Biology Honors Program.
Colleen Kearns, Assistant Director
Undergraduate Research Programs
216 Stimson Hall
College of Arts and Sciences
Opportunities online: Log onto the CURB website
Cornell Undergraduate Research Board (CURB)
CURB welcomes new members and helps them find appropriate research projects, conducts outreach programs for the Cornell community, provides undergraduate speakers for various campus events, conducts the Undergraduate Research Forum each April.
- Projects are posted or developed in consultation with faculty.
- Projects in all disciplines for Independent Study, variable credit; some support funding available.
- Information about summer opportunities, particularly at Medical Research Centers, national laboratories, and other universities.
Bruce Monger, Faculty Advisor
Earth & Atmospheric Sciences
2136 Snee Hall
College of Agriculture and Life Sciences
- Library: research directories, health careers information, and job listing notebooks; searchable online.
- Select Internship Files: searchable online.
- Alumni Career Link
- Faculty and Staff Career Representatives
Department of Animal Science
- Undergraduate Research (AN SC 4990)
- Internship in Animal Science (AN SC 4960) .
- Honors Research (AN SC 4020)
- Paid or volunteer employment
- See listing of faculty research interests at www.ansci.cornell.edu.
W. Bruce Currie, 434 Morrison Hall, 607/255-2888,
Deloris Bevins, 149 Morrison Hall, 607/255-5497,
Susan Quirk, 258 Morrison Hall, 607/254-4607,
email@example.com (Honors Research)
Division of Nutritional Sciences
- Honors Research (NS 3980, NS 4990)
- Undergraduate Research (Directed Readings NS 4000, Empirical Research NS 4010)
- Supervised Field Experience (NS 4020)
Academic Affairs Office
College of Human Ecology
- Each year about 30% of Human Ecology students work with HE faculty members in research, and nearly all faculty members involve undergraduates in their research programs.
- Students work on projects in the life sciences, physical sciences, social sciences, and design. They conduct basic and applied research in many different settings including chemistry and biology labs, design studios, community-based projects, human development labs, human metabolic labs, human performance labs, and computer labs.
- Students may earn academic credit for research through the department courses for Independent Study 4000, 4010, or 4020.
- All majors offer honors research programs.
- Students may assist with research as paid employees or as volunteers.
- Human Ecology offers a limited number of paid summer internships to Human Ecology students who are working with Human Ecology faculty members in research or outreach. The application deadline is typically in late February.
- Faculty websites for listings of faculty research projects
- Fall and spring information sessions about undergraduate research
- Departments' web pages for undergraduate research
- Directors of Undergraduate Studies for the major
- Human Ecology Career Exploration Center 162 MVR
Human Ecology Career Exploration Center
College of Engineering
- Guidance on exploring opportunities and finding a faculty mentor.
- Student undergraduate research grant program: with application cycles for fall, spring and summer.
- Link to additional summer research opportunities.
Engineering Learning Initiatives
167 Olin Hall
Internships: Volunteer & Employment
Listings are available throughout the year. See Student Jobs/Internships and check links to:
- Student Employment Services for listings on campus or in the Ithaca/Tompkins County area.
- Cornell Handshake System for listings outside the area.
Time of Year: Available summer, academic year, full-year, 3—6 months
Locations: throughout the United States, in the Ithaca area, and on the Cornell campus (limited international postings are included)
Compensations: hourly pay, stipends, room and board, unpaid/volunteer, credit
Examples: private and public labs, nonprofit agencies, hospitals and health care centers, colleges and universities, etc.
Special summer programs: Investigate research and internships through DYO (Develop Your Own Internship), New York City Public Service Corps (NYCPSC), and Health Research Training Program (HRTP) during the fall semester. Applications for DYO, NYCPSC, and HRTP are all available in 203 Barnes. These opportunities are available only for Federal Work-Study eligible students (see Special Summer Funding handout for details).HRTP is available to non-FWS eligible students but only as a volunteer option.
Cornell Handshake system for listings outside the area:
Special Summer Programs and Alumni Programs
103 Barnes Hall
Student Employment Services
203 Day Hall
Public Service Center
200 Barnes Hall
Additional Opportunities: Career Library—103 Barnes Hall
- Internships Directories—many are available
- Pre-health Summer Experience Surveys Notebook
- Summer Experience Surveys (non-health and health related)
Jobs in Research
During an interim year or post graduation contact
- Cornell Career Services—103 Barnes Hall and your College Career Services office (e.g., College of Agriculture and Life Sciences)
- Career Library—103 Barnes Hall
- Student Jobs/Internship